Home

Monday, October 31, 2011

Procrastination

While looking around on Pinterest last week, I came across this:




It was like walking into a brick wall for me. I woke up. I looked around and realized that work doesn't have to be like it is for me. It doesn't have to be stressful. I don't have to dread getting out of bed. It doesn't have to be a chore...

The timing of this was incredible. Chances are, I won't have a job {at least not here} at the end of the year. This isn't a new feeling for me, unfortunately. Working in a non-profit, I get that cuts have to be made each year. The economy stinks, we lose money every year, blah blah blah. I won't go into my feelings, because they're mostly things I don't want to put into writing and then throw out for the world to read, but let's just say there's a lot of bitterness and anxiety in my world right now. I'm tired of being the one who will jump to help everyone, and the first one on the list of positions to be cut because I'm "non-essential." It's not a good feeling, and I'm done with it.

Nothing is set in stone, of course. I haven't charted my course yet. But there are so many things I'd rather be doing than this. Or another job like this. When I think about how I spend my time procrastinating, I see a distinct pattern:
  • DIY
  • Handmade anything
  • Blogs
  • Crafts
  • Home decor
  • Stationery
  • Weddings
  • Photography
I appreciate creativity. I appreciate people who take the time to make things themselves. I appreciate Etsy and people who buy locally. I appreciate handcrafted treasures that I know are one of a kind. These are all things I strive toward when creating stationery for my customers {or whatever else I'm making.}

So, I'm challenging myself to find a role where I can do what makes me happiest while still contributing to my family. I have a couple of ideas in the works {I'll share more when I have some details worked out} that I couldn't be more excited about.

In the meantime, I'll be looking to spend my time doing things I enjoy. What about you...what do you do when you procrastinate?

Happy Monday all!

No comments:

Post a Comment