Home

Saturday, January 01, 2011

Follow-Through

One of my biggest struggles in life is my lack of follow-through. This is not a new issue for me or one that I haven't been able to recognize. It's just part of my make-up, for whatever reason, annoying as it may be.

I'm an ideas person. I always thought I'd be a really great consultant for something. Come in to a project before it starts, think up all sorts of good ideas, brainstorm, and come up with an outcome. And then walk away and not have to do any of those pesky tasks that come after the initial brainstorm. I'm a problem-solver. I come up with solutions. I think outside the box.

Life isn't only about the initial idea though. Some things do actually have to get done, at some point.

Even things I'm genuinely excited to do and have tons of ideas for, never seem to get done in a timely manner, or done completely. Take Christmas decorating, for example. I have a TON of decorations I love, that bring up so many great emotions. I love to decorate, and I love the finished product. The weekend after Thanksgiving, Mike & I hauled all the decorations up from their storage spot in the basement. I thought, this year is finally the year I'll have my decorations up in the first week of December. Enter my lack of follow-through. I wasn't finished decorating until about 2 hours before our dinner guests arrived on Christmas eve, and I didn't even get half of what I wanted up. Yeah, it was a super feeling. Maybe that's why I leave my decorations up until Valentine's Day. :)

So, I have all these great ideas for 2011...both professionally and personally. Things I'm very excited to do (launching a new website at work, redecorating our dining room, learning more about my camera and photo editing programs, some product ideas that would eventually end up in my Etsy store...well, the list goes on and on). Will I do them? I genuinely hope so. My intentions are good.

I just have to figure out how to make it happen.

I hope everyone had a great NYE. I know we did!

1 comment:

  1. I am exactly the same way! Here's to getting stuff done in 2011!

    ReplyDelete