Home

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Summer Busy-ness

Let me just come out and say it: I hate summer. I really do. For the most part. There are things I enjoy - my garden, cool evening after the sun has gone down, pretty flowers, no snow. But really..that's about it. I'm not the kind of girl who enjoys heat (which is funny since I voluntarily moved to Phoenix a few years back and didn't really mind the 120 degree summer days). I love my AC (central AC was one of my "must haves" when we bought a house). I love keeping the curtains drawn in the afternoon and the lights off and wrapping up in a blankie and just enjoying the comfy temperature.

So, with this hate comes a lot of desire to just stay in the house. Which is annoying, because there's so much to be done outside my house. What's a girl to do?

Apparently, this girl decides it's an awesome idea to make plans for every weekend this summer. Well, nearly every weekend.

Do you ever get overwhelmed by just the thought of everything you have coming up? Realistically, my life isn't super busy at this exact moment. I'm working 10 hour days and going home to do crafty things in preparation for fall craft shows, but honestly, it's not that bad. Then I think about all I have to do this summer, and the panic sets in. Not because I don't want to do it, but because I'm not seeing any time for me to lay on my big fat couch, with my fuzzy blankie, and cute little pug. I have very important vegging needs (especially if there's an NCIS or Law & Order: SVU marathon on).

But, in the spirit of not having any kind of a mental breakdown, I think I shall post some inspirational pictures of summer BBQ's and picnics. Because I really want to throw a huge party for our family and friends in a few weeks (as soon as the patio turned swamp is finally done).

So, here's some pictures I love:

Who wouldn't want to pick up their silverware wrapped in a bandanna?

It'd probably just be easier to put it in cans like this though. (Am I the only one who thinks silverware can add to the decor when it's like this? Is it wrong to admit I'm always on the lookout for vintage silver spoons to someday display in a vase in my dining room?)
Galvanized buckets make me happy. Especially when they're practical too.

I don't know about you, but food is the first priority when it comes to our family and friends (well, food and drink.) Brisket is a must for me (we served it at our wedding even).

And then, of course, there's the decor. Someday, I will own a ridiculously long wooden picnic table like this. I will. One of my best memories as a kid was a Texas vacation where my family (I think there were at least 15-20 of us) all sat at one picnic table and talked over delicious bbq. Love it - and still remember this particular meal after 15 years. I'd love to recreate it every summer as an adult.

Presentation is everything. Love me some red checkered table clothes too (and this is much easier than getting food in the house, balancing your plate while you make it out my 3 door to the deck and backyard, not to mention the flight of stairs you have to navigate (and the little pug nipping at your ankles trying to trip you).

And finally, my fav. The flags. I love them. LOVE. I will recreate this for our bbq. Mike will have fun stringing it. Haha, poor husband :)

I'm suddenly hating summer much less, with the thoughts of entertaining in my mind. Off to figure out the invitations now...

Happy Thursday dears!

(Photo credit - the last two photos are from Modern Prairie Girl, all the rest are from Country Living)

No comments:

Post a Comment