Home

Monday, April 19, 2010

Nature

Nature. I'm not an outdoors girl. Blah.

I live on a farm though, so I've sort of been put in a situation where I should enjoy being outside at least occassionally.

Here's my nature stories from the last couple of days:

I'm exceptionally pale. I'm prone to heat exhaustion, so I tend to not stay outside for long periods of time. I was out for about 2 hours on Saturday and I'm already sort of sun burned. Maybe bright red is the new tan.

I'm petrified of snakes. Petrified. When I was growing up, rubber snakes weren't allowed in our house. If a snake came on tv, the channel was changed. My mom would go through my science text books and cover the pictures of snakes so I wouldn't be afraid to turn the pages. Yes, it's ridiculous, but it's true. I've gotten a little better with the tv thing (we don't have to change the channel, unless it happens to be a nature program on the life of snakes or something). I was cleaning up the yard on Saturday and went to move a hay bale. I reached for the strings, and almost TOUCHED a snake. Oh. My. Gravy. I've never been that close to a snake before, and not only did I almost touch it, I almost picked up the hay and put it against my body. Yuck. I still shiver at the thought of how close I came. And then I giggle about how quickly I ran away and how loud I screamed. At the top of my lungs. Like a cheerleader in a bad horror movie.

I'm sitting in my living room, stalking reading blogs in my Google reader, and I hear a huge thump on the front window. A bird has flown into the window. Again. This happens at least once a week during the spring/summer. You would think the birds would learn. And it's not like my windows sparkle like the ones in Windex commercials. They're not even close to clean.

This is my experience with nature: sun burns, close encounters with snakes, and stupid birds with flat foreheads.

Why do I love it here so much? :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jen, thank you so much for the sweet comment you left on Ashley's blog about my guest post. I've been sitting here reading through this page of our posts, and I can't help crying with you. I'm so glad you have your own comforting moments of still having your mom near. It is not a coincidence. I believe that with my whole heart. My mom and I promised the same thing as your mom and her aunt. Whoever went first would somehow let the other know they were ok. -And my mom's death was unexpected as well. She passed only 2 days before my birthday, and on the day of my birthday her cell phone kept beeping and my phone would answer back. It happened so much that my husband walked over and took the batteries out of her phone. And you know what, it kept doing it anyway. We all looked at each other and knew she was with us, and she wanted us to know it was all ok. I'll be sharing more about this whole story soon. Please come by and visit anytime. I love meeting new people. And if you're ever having a bad day, let me know, leave a comment and I will be praying for you through out that day. ~Blessings!

    ReplyDelete