Home

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Moving?

I don't think it's any secret how much I love my house. I literally jumped up and down when we look around the place because I knew it was meant to be ours. For almost 3 years now, it's been our home and I can't imagine not having it be a part of our life.

Or, at least, I thought I couldn't. I don't know what triggered it specifically {there are a number of things I think might have contributed, but nothing I can point to and say, "Yup, that's it}, but we're considering moving sometime in the next few years. For most people, this isn't monumental news. For us, it kind of is. When we were looking for houses, we were looking with the idea that this would be our forever home. We would have a family, raise them, kick them out {haha}, and then let them back in for holidays and when they blessed us with grandbabies and such.

The only thing we didn't love about our house is where it's located. I love Unadilla, don't get me wrong. The thing I don't love about it is that it's not Elmwood {where the husband is from}. I miss being close to his {our} family & friends. I hate driving the extra 20 miles to and from work. I love our little town, but I don't feel connected to it the way I hoped I would. Even though we haven't lived in Elmwood for almost 3 years, and I only lived there for about 4 months, I feel much more at home there.

So, moving....that's not something I EVER wanted to do again. In fact, I swore I wouldn't ever do it again. I moved 19 times between the ages of 18 and 26 {when we moved into our house}. Let me say that again...19 times. It was ridiculous. I hate packing, I hate patching walls, I hate going through things, I hate it all. And yet, we're considering it again {honestly, the moving part of it is the only reason we have to consider anything...we really don't want to move.}

There are quite a few options out there for what we could do. Top of my list is building a new house in the country. Like these, if we had all the money in the world...




Yeah, I'm noticing a trend. White houses that are WAY too big for us :) But they're pretty...and maybe the house we end up in will be white {though I doubt it, because my husband loves brick}.

Option 2 is to wait until one of the farms we love comes up for sale. There are a few we've had our eye on since we started looking for this house, almost 3 and a half years ago. Mike's probably had his eye on them for longer. It's not exactly the best laid plan, because we're at the mercy of people we don't know.

Option 3 is to buy a house in town. We've talked about how I'm a city girl at heart, but I've been ridiculously spoiled living in the country the last 3 years. I love the silence and the privacy. I love that people have to call before they come over because no one wants to drive to where we live only to find out we're not home. However...being in town, around people we love, would be kind of fun. Plus, it would allow us to save some serious money {I can pretty much guarantee that our house payment would go down if we bought a place in town}. I still think that if we went this route, it would only be a temporary option. I know my husband wants to live on a farm, and I sort of like it too!

Option 4 is to stay where we are and make the best of things. This list isn't in order of our preferences by any means. I love our house so much, and if we stay there, I'll still be thrilled. I was nervous that when we started thinking about all these options I would not be pleased with our house, or I'd feel resentful if we ultimately decide staying put is the best choice for us. Then I got home last night, looked at my puppy running around in her yard, and realized that I couldn't ever be unhappy with our house. If we continue to live there, we will be very blessed.

So, things are a little up in the air at the moment, which I don't like. But, it's fun to imagine possibilities {as long as I don't allow myself to think of packing tape and giant cardboard boxes}.

Does anyone have any experience building a house that they'd like to tell me about? I know the least about that option and could use some advice about the process, costs, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment