Home

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Keeping It Real

I know I've talked before about how I like to use this blog as a journal, in addition to posting pretty pictures. I hope that when I finally sit down with my Project Life and need some help remembering the journaling {because I've been terrible about keeping up with things} that my blog will help.

I wanted to write today about some realities in my life, as of today:
  • I adore fall. My mood improves drastically from the first signs of fall until the day after Christmas. Then I fall into a ridiculous funk and can't wait for spring. I'm thrilled beyond words that fall seems to be arriving a little earlier this year.
  • I'm craving change. I know a lot of people are uncomfortable with change, but I'm definitely not one of them. I love it when things change around me. It challenges me and makes me feel alive. I'm motivated and inspired to change my routines. Things have been a little too predictable lately and I don't like it.
  • I'm not sleeping well. I've never had great sleeping habits - I either sleep too little or nap too long or can't get out of bed in the morning without a serious fight. It seems like all of these things are going on right now and I really don't like it. I've been having some extremely vivid dreams lately which is making it hard to get a good night's sleep {they're normally not bad dreams, although the ones that are nightmares are beyond terrifying}.  I'm exhausted.
  • I'm missing my mom a lot right now. I go through periods were I feel very calm about the situation. This is one of those times where I'm not sure how I've gone so long without talking to her. I can't think of another person I'd like to turn to right now for answers to my questions and comfort and laughs. I still talk with her every day, but right now, I'd really like it if she could answer me back.
  • I love Pumpkin Spice Lattes. It's a simple pleasure. I don't have a Starbucks habit most of the year, but during the fall, I definitely make up for it.
  • I'm not getting crafty. I have a running list on my phone of crafty ideas. I stalk Pinterest like crazy for ideas and inspiration. I have a binder of tutorials for things I'd like to try. And yet, I'm not doing anything about it. I can't really figure out why I'm not wanting to get in my craft room and create {although one idea is that it's disastrously messy right now and I couldn't even find my table last time I was in there}. My motivation to create has always been off and on...I guess this is an "off" time.
  • Time is moving too fast. It's already the middle of September. It feels like just yesterday that it was still 100 degrees and I was praying that summer would finally be over. I remember when I was younger and time seemed to last forever. Now even the bad days go by way too quickly. Maybe there's too much in my schedule. Maybe there's not enough and I'm wasting time. I want to be able to figure out what the deal is so I can enjoy what's going on right now and life doesn't pass me by!
  • Yesterday was exactly what I needed. I took the day off at the last minute so I could catch up on sleep and relax a little. I felt myself getting overwhelmed at work, not working as hard as I should, and focusing on a lot of negative things. I unplugged yesterday - didn't check Facebook, didn't read any blogs, didn't really even watch TV. I read a book, cuddled with Molly, played with Abby {until I saw she killed a mouse, and then I tried not to puke on Abby}, and started making some cake balls. I even caught up on some laundry. I'm glad I admitted to myself that I was needing some time away and that I actually took it.
  • My feelings can get hurt. This shouldn't be earth shattering news, and of course I realize that I can be hurt by people I love. I have reasonably thick skin when it comes to others though, and I realized that even when I don't expect it, little things can still hurt me.  I was also reminded that even when we didn't realize it, my parents did a wonderful job with my brother and I in the way of being polite and minding our manners. I'm thankful that they raised me to be considerate of others in my actions - big or small.
That's a pretty good snapshot of my life right now, I think. There is a lot going on! It's really important for me to reflect on things from time to time - to say them out loud {or in this case, write them down} - and acknowledge what makes me happy and what I want to work on. So, if you've made it this far, thank you for sticking with me! If not...well, I hope it's because you're taking time to reflect on your own life. Or...that you stepped out to get a Pumpkin Spice Latte!

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment