Home

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Don't Wait! {Documenting Daily Life}

Instagram photo of a piece of delish chocolate cake & strawberry sauce my friend at work brought me yesterday

Last week, Ali Edwards documented a day in her life and asked who wanted to join up. I had initially planned on documenting mine the same day she did hers, but work got away from me and it didn't happen. The rest of the week was pretty crazy, and well...that's my life. You can see her initial post here, and her documentation the next day here.


I was bummed that I didn't do this project while "everyone" else was {it seemed like everyone anyway!}, but I've committed to documenting a day this month. Since there's only a few days left, I'd better get cracking. I had the day off Monday and thought it would be a great day to do something like this since I didn't have any major plans. But then I talked myself out of it because it wasn't a "typical" day.

I wish I hadn't.

If you're doing Project Life, or a Project 365 or any other kind of everyday moment documentation this year, the advice I have for you is DON'T WAIT! If you feel like preserving a memory, do it. Don't wait for the perfect time or a typical day. Just get it captured through photographs or journaling!

I didn't take a single photo Monday. I had my good camera with me and my iPhone and didn't use either of them once. Nothing was typical about Monday. I slept in til 8am, I spent some time hanging out with the dogs, it was a rainy spring-like day. I did dishes, I did laundry, I returned some things to a rental company, I shopped for some organizational tools {none of these things ever happen when I'm involved, though I realize they're probably typical for most people.}. I'm completely bummed because as atypical as my day was, it was great. I kept thinking I shouldn't only focus on myself, or I didn't take pictures as soon as I woke up.

I was making excuses for myself that don't matter.

I've been doing some version of Project Life or P365 for 3 years now, and every year I've failed miserably {with the exception of this year...I'm not failing this year}. The entire reason is because I set these lofty expectations for myself that I can't really meet, and as soon as I fail, I give up. My P365 2 years ago lasted maybe a month. My PL from 2011 STILL doesn't have a single photo in it. It's really sad.

My desire to be perfect took over my desire to preserve memories of our everyday life.


I guess what I'm trying to say in all this rambling and regret is that I hope you learn from my mistakes rather than waiting to make them yourself. It took me a long time {not that I even believe I've truly learned my lesson} to realize that memory keeping doesn't have to be a perfect, complete picture. One photo of one ordinary thing is so much better than no photos at all. If you've started one of these projects or have plans to start, please please please learn from my stupidity on this matter!

On a related note...one of the organizational things I bought Monday was to organize my Project Life supplies so I can keep them out all the time and focus on getting my photos in the album. I'll hopefully get it set up tonight and share some photos with you!

And, on another related note...many of the Project Life supplies that had been sold out came in this weekend {and subsequently sold out again!} I did get a couple things, but I waited too long to get everything I wanted. I can't wait until my shipment arrives from Amazon so I can get back into this project! Did you get everything you'd been waiting for??

No comments:

Post a Comment