Home

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Nest Mini Scrapbook Album

Good morning all!

Just a quick post today with a sneak peak of the Nest Mini I've been working on. I'm donating this album to a benefit dinner that will raise money for a team walking in a Susan G. Komen 3-Day this summer. One of the team members is a friend of mine from work, and she recently lost her favorite aunt to breast cancer (the funeral was last week). Carla had been battling her cancer (for the 2nd time) for over 4 years. She was one of the strongest people I'd ever met (she worked at our company before she was too sick to work) and never complained about the pain she was in. In fact, she was always looking for some way to help others rather than focusing on herself.

This isn't meant to be a sad post, though Carla's passing is extremely sad. It just that her illness and death was a reminder to me about what's important in life and making each moment count. I started to think about all the things that were important after her funeral, and I realized that THOSE are the things that make up "home" for me. Not necessarily the house where I live (though, it does feel like home), but also the things that make up my life - family, friends, pets, hobbies and memories.

So, the theme of this album is "Nest." Obviously, I won't be filling it with pictures, but I hope the person who purchases or wins it will fill it with all sorts of images of the things that make them feel at home....whether it's a physical building, or all the other pieces of their lives that wrap them up and make them feel secure.

I couldn't wait to share a picture (in fact, I shared this last night on Facebook as soon as I finished the cover), so excuse the cell phone quality, but here it is:


I know you probably can't see all the details, especially since this was taken around midnight, but you get the idea. (And I enlarged the picture as much as possible for the blog so you could see.) I promise there will be better pictures once the album is finished :) The kraft background is just a mailing envelope I had sitting around...I wanted the background a little darker since the cover blended in to my off-white work table.

This is easily the most detailed piece I've made in a long time, but I wanted to go all out on the cover. And now I want to duplicate it and make an album for myself, but I know I don't have time right now! I would definitely buy it back though if it ends up on the Silent Auction they're having. The one thing missing from the cover is a vintage inspired door knob fixture to open the album with...what home isn't complete without a front door?

I'll share more information about the benefit dinner as soon as I have it, since I know my friend would love to see as many people there as possible!

I hope everyone has an excellent Thursday, and upcoming weekend. I don't know that I'll be back before Monday, since life is keeping me so busy! Looking forward to seeing lots of family this weekend at Brent & Saranne's wedding (and I'll also bring back pictures of the finished aisle runner since I forgot to take them before I rolled it up).

Have a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment