Home

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Favorite "Kids" Book

I can't even remember how I got to this point already this morning (which is sad since it's been about a 5 minute process), but I got to thinking about my favorite book as a kid. It's called Peppermints in the Parlor, by Barbara Wallace.


My third grade teacher, Ms. Pashby, would gather us around her on the floor of our portable classroom and read to us from this book every day (for however long it took). I fell in love with that book, and from that point on, would check it out of the library at least once a year. Until I moved to AZ. At 23. I love that book.

I've never forgotten about it, but haven't read it since I was 23. We don't have a library at the moment (and if we did, I doubt they would carry it since it's a small library). Somehow, this morning, I decided to see if Amazon or B&N would carry it because I would like to own a copy. Turns out, the copy I'd been checking out for so many years (pictured above) was from the first round of publications and the dust jacket had the original illustrations. Now I really want that version of the book, which of course is out of print. I found one on Amazon for $39, which I don't think is unreasonable at all. I'll keep watching ebay though to see if I can find one for less.

And, low and behold, I found out there is a sequel! The book resolves itself at the end, so I'm not really sure where they would go with the story (especially since it's called The Perils of Peppermints) so it sounds like it's a stressful time for young Emily Luccock. One more book I need to buy if I can find it for a reasonable price.

So, what about you? Did your teacher or librarian ever read you Peppermints in the Parlor? If not, what was your favorite kids book? Will you read it to your kids (or nieces and nephews or random neighborhood kids or your puppy)?

Now I'm remembering all the time I spent in the library as a kid and probably why I love reading so much to this day...good memories for a Wednesday morning :)

Happy reading, bookworms!

No comments:

Post a Comment