Home

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Whirlwind

 Happy Tuesday everyone!

My life right now is spinning in circles and while it's really fun, I'd like to slow down for just a minute. I don't see that happening, but it's nice to wish. The good news is that I'm thrilled with all the things that are making life so crazy right now!
  • I have a love/hate relationship with my job. It's called work after all. I love what I do, I love where I work, and I love the people I work with. Sometimes, it just exhausts me though, both physically and mentally. Which I hate. As I mentioned in my last post, we are opening a new wing {yesterday, as a matter of fact}, and have spent the last 6 weeks working hard to get it up and running. We had our first new client move in yesterday, and I'm really proud of all the work we got accomplished as a team. There's a lot more to be done throughout this week, but I'm glad the hardest parts are behind us. Now, it's moving on to the details, and catching up on all the other things that have fallen behind...like filing...
  • I finally feel like I'm making progress on Gather. The building itself is coming along nicely and should be finished soon for the most part. I've been busy gathering furniture and display pieces that I can't wait to show you. I have a lot of display ideas floating around in my head, and I should even be able to tell you a date for the grand opening soon! If that's not progress, I don't know what is! I visited with Becky for a bit last week and we talked a little about Gather. She suggested using Instagram to show customers finds for the store or things that are for sale in real-time. I think that's a fantastic, fun suggestion, and definitely fits into my hectic lifestyle. Thanks for your great advice Becky, and if anyone wants to follow me on Instagram, I'm @gatherboutique.
  • We're busily packing up our house. I've decided to take inventory of a lot of the products I keep on hand {thanks to couponing} so it's going a little slower than I like, but at least I feel really organized about the whole process. In my head, I'd like to get out of the house by mid-May, and get the house ready to be listed for sale on June 1. With the store opening, I'm not sure how realistic that is, but we're going to try. If you're interested in a really great inventory app, check out Prep & Pantry. It allows you to scan bar codes, enter expiration dates, tell you if coupons are available, and much more. It also allows you to list things that don't have bar codes, like books or DVDs in your collection. I have the full version that I just got this weekend, so I'm still learning about it, but so far, I love it!
  • The new Sookie Stackhouse book comes out on May 1 {oh em gee!} and every time a new book comes out, I read all the previous books over again, in order, in preparation. It's getting to be more and more of a task, but I love it. Problem is, I'm super busy and once I start reading a good book, I'm not really motivated to do much else. Maybe I could reward myself with a book after I finish a project?
  • Around spring, I'm always inspired to read more. It probably has to do with my Sookie tradition, but I love it. I got Tori Spelling's new book, celebraTORI, and a book on marketing and small business. I just finished two Nicholas Sparks books (Dear John and The Lucky One) in about a day...I didn't really sleep that night. It was awesome and reminded me of being back in high school and college when I stayed up all night reading for fun. Yes, I'm a dork. I'm fine with it!
  • Ali Edwards' Week in the Life project is coming up next week {beginning Monday, April 23} and I'm committed to doing it again this year. I'm a little nervous, every time I work on one of these projects, bad things happen. {The first year, I threw my back out and didn't move for 4 days. The next year, we heard about Mike's job. When I did DITL in February, it was the day I found out we might not be able to open Gather - fortunately, they all worked themselves out eventually}. I really don't want anything bad to happen next week!! Anyway, I'm not doing much prep. I'll use Ali's daily sheets, most likely, and incorporate my pictures into some Project Life inserts. I'm taking a very laid back approach to the project, and I'll be interested to see how it works out.
  • Speaking of Project Life, I'm still plugging along. I had my "real" camera out all weekend and took pictures at the kids' school carnival and at church on Sunday. It felt nice to actually take photos again. Just have to print the last couple weeks out and carve out some hours to get them in my album.
Honestly, there's even more that's going on, but I'm out of time to write for today. I hope everyone has a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment