Home

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My Favorite Things

I don't watch Oprah, but I hear her Favorite Things episodes were aired on Friday & Monday. I'm not giving away a car on this post (so don't get your hopes up), but I will share some of my favorites from all walks of life.

ACCESSORIES

We'll start with a manageable one. Comfy shoes:

You can find these at Target. Of course, because I love Target. I wear these babies just about everywhere...from lounging around the house (why didn't anyone ever tell me that hardwood is freezing in the morning?!? Okay, I know my husband did before we bought the house, but someone besides him so I'd actually listen!), to running to the store, sometimes even to work when I'm needing a comfy day. I've had mind for 2 years now and they're holding up really well, especially considering how often I wear them. I'll be buying another pair next time I go to Target, just in case.

Next is my spendy option. A Coach handbag:

This is similar to the first bag I bought, and I still have it and love it (mine is the black on black version...unfortunately, my particular bag isn't made anymore). I know that it's out of the price range for a lot of people, but here's what I say to that: This bag (or any Coach bag) will last forever. You wouldn't believe the crap I've put all of mine through and they're still holding up well. I've been known to break lesser purses within 3 days of buying them. Figure out how much money you spend on inexpensive bags throughout a year...either because they're season specific or because they break. I bet it adds up to more than you'd spend on a Coach bag (unless you're not into bags, but come on, who doesn't love a pretty purse??)

And finally, the hand-crafted item. This awesome, unique ring:

(Excuse the cruddy phone picture, it doesn't do the ring justice.) I just found this twisted metal ring this weekend at a craft show I was in, and I fell in love immediately. The artist creates these herself, using Swarovski crystals and pearls (mine happen to be white and onyx pearls). I love them and they're very reasonably priced. Here's her Etsy store, Word2Wear, and although it's empty, I'm sure if you convo'd her, she'd be happy to work with you. She's really a great person and I was happy to talk with her this weekend!

CREATIVE ENDEAVORS

Reasonable (and something everyone can use). Tim Holtz Scissors:
Yes, I will buy anything with Tim Holtz's name on it, but I swear that's not why I'm recommending these. They are awesome and I use them for absolutely everything. They don't hurt my hands when I use them for long periods of time, they're great for whatever kind of cutting you're doing (even detailed, though I've heard some people say they don't use them for that). I also love that they cut every material I've ever tried, including chipboard, fabric, and wire. And they're scissors are fine for it and not showing any wear. The other thing that's great is that they are non-stick. It seems like I'm always cutting over adhesive somehow, so that's perfect for me. I don't want to have to take the time to clean my scissors before or after I use them.

More expensive (and not so universal). The Cricut Expression
It took me awhile to get in the groove of using my Expression, even though it was something I had wanted for a long time (Mike got it for me for our first Christmas together). Once I did though, I don't know how I lived without it. I'm the type of person who mostly uses it for cutting base shapes or letters for altered projects. I don't know that I've ever made a card with a die-cut element, but that's not really my style. I know a ton of people who do and they're beautiful. I also think it will be super handy for school projects once we have kids that age, and I would imagine it would be good for scrapbooking (that I never seem to get to). There are less expensive options for die cutting, and I have a couple of them (the Cuttlebug and Epic Six). I've also played with the Big Shot when I was an SU! demo. While all three of them are fine for what they do (I wouldn't trade my CB or ES for anything), they just can't compare to all the options with the Expression.

Hand-crafted. Honestly, there's no way for me to narrow these options down because of all the talent I see at craft shows and the stores I browse on Etsy. Seriously, just take the time and look around, you'll love it. The one I'll showcase though is this camera bag:

This is the one I purchased (birds, pink, and polka dots? it's perfect!!). The quality is amazing, and it's holding up to everything I've put it through. I also like how roomy it is because I only carry one extra lens. I'm able to put my cell phone and wallet in the bag and not have to carry a purse too (which is perfect for sporting events). It's also deep enough to hold a camera with the lens attached, which is awesome for me...I don't want to be taking lenses off to put the camera away in a hurry. Janine has so many varieties of camera bags (as well as laptop, ipad, kindle/nook cases), I'm sure you'll find something you love. And her prices are very reasonable! Check out her Etsy shop, JanineKingDesigns

OTHER FAVORITES
(By the way, how ridiculous is it that my two main categories are crafting & accessories and everything else in life falls into the "other" category?)

NookColor

Had to have a Nook anyway, so glad the hubby made me wait til Christmas because now I get to take advantage of the NookColor. I played with this the other night at Best Buy and love it. Can't wait until Christmas morning!

BeautiControl Perfect Wet/Dry Foundation


My must-have make-up. I really couldn't care less if I wore anything else, but I must put this on every time I leave the house. There's no need for cover-up or powder if you're wearing this because it's basically all-in-one. If you don't have a BeautiControl consultant, let me know and I'll get you the contact info for mine.

Dr. Grip Gel Pen

This particular pen is the greatest thing to ever happen to handwriting. I've been known to throw out a perfectly good pen just because it makes my handwriting look ugly. Have you ever noticed that the type of pen affects the way you write? Or maybe that's just me :) The gel version is a must...I don't really like the ball point version, even though I normally prefer ball point to gel.

Temp-tations Bakeware

I'm always getting compliments on this stuff. I have two different sets (the one shown, and a 2 casserole/2 loaf pan set) and am completely in love. You can bake in it, serve in it (everything they make is pretty), refrigerate or freeze...love it. So, the theory is that you can take a dish from the oven, put it in the cute little basket that comes with it on the trivet (that also comes with...see them standing up in the back?) and there's no heat transfer. I tested it out and they're completely right. The other set I have has rattan trivets and they totally work too. Which is great for someone like me who gets burned fairly often on hot dishes :) With their system, you can grab the basket handles or the bottom of the dish (handy for passing dishes at the dinner table) and not get burnt. Genius. I bought mine on QVC and I'm not even sure it's sold anywhere else. QVC has great deals though, so go that route. 

Dogalicious Treats

This is a local dog treat maker I also found this weekend at the craft show. I normally try to buy Molly homemade dog treats whenever I see them because they've got to be better for her than the processed stuff, plus, she likes to try new things. But these have been her favorite by far...normally we have to be very choosy about the kinds we buy because she gets sick if we feed her bacon-flavored anything, and doesn't like certain flavors or colors. But so far, she's loving these things. His mixed bags include 20 good sized bones for $6, so it's really not expensive at all. I wish I could remember all the flavors he has, but my memory is failing. They smell so good in the bag though, unlike so many other icky smelling dog treats. Visit his website here for more details and his contact info. Local people can visit him at the Omaha Farmer's Market.

Okay, this post is long enough. I hope you find something on this list that's new to you so you can enjoy it. And for the things you already knew about, I hope you love them just as much as I do!

Have a fabulous Tuesday all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment