Home

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Project Life: Take 2

Happy Tuesday, all!

If you read my post yesterday, you noticed a lot of Project Life mentions throughout my goals list. No, I'm not getting paid to mention them or convince you to jump on the PL bandwagon. I just love the product and really want to use it to make my memory keeping a lot easier throughout next year.

I've blogged about Project Life before when I first heard about it, almost exactly a year ago. You can read my original post here. You can also see some of the photos I took for my January PL spreads here.

I know I've mentioned the project off and on, but I haven't shared a whole lot about it. Please don't let my laziness reflect badly on the project, because that's really the only reason. PL is extremely easy to use, it doesn't offer a lot of pressure, and it's really really cute.

Project Life is a memory keeping system. If you want to read the skinny about it from the creator, Becky Higgins, please check out http://www.beckyhiggins.com/. I also highly recommend following Becky's blog and liking her Facebook page. Both are full of tons of useful information {related to memory keeping and life in general}, and you can't help but walk away inspired.

Why did I get started?
I've called myself a scrapbooker for years {12 now} and I think of that as one of my main hobbies. I have an entire room dedicated to scrapbooking and card-making, and I read blogs every day related to keeping memories. It truly is one of my passions. But the reality is, when I force myself to face it, is that I haven't completed a scrapbook in 8 years. And in the entire time I've been scrapbooking, I only have 2 albums that I would say are finished. 2!! Isn't that ridiculous??

I realized that as much as I love looking for inspiration, buying product, figuring out what the latest trend is, scouring magazines...that's not actually helping me preserve my memories. Sure, I love to go into Archivers and drop a ton of money on fun supplies, but the reality is that I rarely use them as I intended, and none of that helps me share my story with others {or even myself, several years down the road}.

With Project Life, I don't have a need for all the extra stuff. I can still look for inspiration, buy product, etc. and I can get my photos off my computer and into an album! I can use the product if I want, or I can hoard it for special projects, or I can actually save money and only buy the things I'm going to use right away.

How did 2011 go?
Well, you'll notice that there weren't a lot of updates after January. Quite frankly, I didn't make time to do this project the way I wanted to - but that was my own fault. This memory keeping system is really set up to be a stress-free, make it quickly sort of thing. I am an out of sight, out of mind type of person, and my Project Life album got tucked away in my craft room, which meant it didn't get the attention I planned to give it. But - I'm okay with that. The cool thing with Project Life is, I can go back, print out all my pictures from 2011, do some quick journaling, and probably have the whole album completed in few hours. I had to adjust my expectations along the year - for example, I originally thought I'd have one, 2-page layout per week. That didn't work for me and my photograph taking last year, so I plan to have at least one, 2-page layout per month. Some months will have more. Some special events will get their one 2-page layout {a family reunion, for example}. The best thing about Project Life is that it can be whatever I want it to be. NO PRESSURE!

What's the plan for 2012?
Well, you saw my list yesterday. Big plans! I do want to try a layout a week again. It shouldn't be that difficult to do, especially since I have my iPhone with me all the time. I'm aiming for a picture a day, but it's a loose goal. If I don't get one a day, I know I'll have at least 7 over the course of a week to make my layouts.

I've already purchased my Core Kit {I got the Clementine this year} and page protectors, I just need to get the coordinating album ordered and I will be on my way {actually, I'll be on my way before the album gets here, but you get the idea.}

Another fun plan - I gave 3 of my 4 nieces their own Project Life kits for Christmas! {The 4th is too young to have her own yet, but she will someday!} I promised them that we could spend at least one afternoon per month putting together our albums. I loved seeing the girls look back through their pictures that I printed for them, and I can't wait to spend time with them sharing something I love to do.

I also hope to share more around the blog. I really do take a lot of pictures, I just have some issues getting them from the phone/camera/computer to the blog. The goal in my head is to share my Project Life layouts weekly on the blog. For me, that's a pretty lofty goal, so I'm trying not to put too much pressure on myself if I miss a week here and there. But, I do like the accountability it would provide me.

Finally, some exciting news for those of us who love Shutterfly - Shutterfly and Becky Higgins have teamed up to create 2 Shutterfly photo books featuring Project Life designs {Clementine and Turquoise}. If you haven't made a Shutterfly book before, you should consider it - it's really easy and not at all time-consuming. And they have a custom path option now that allows you to direct the look of your book if you'd like that option. I plan to use the Shutterfly option to catch up on some of my books from before I was introduced to Project Life and complete at least one book.

So, there you have it. Obviously, I love Project Life, but I would be happy to answer any specific questions you have if you're on the fence about the project. And hopefully in the next few days, you'll be seeing some photos here on the blog of my completed 2011 Project Life Album!

Have a great day, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment