Home

Friday, December 28, 2012

30 Bags in 30 Days

Hey everyone,

If you read yesterday's "right now" post, then you saw that I'm on an organizational kick. This actually started about a month ago or so, but since moving is on the horizon, it's kicked into high gear now.

In an example of perfect timing, my friend Becky blogged about her 30 Bags in 30 Day project that she undertakes every year. You can read her post here. She decided to create the Instagram tag #30bags30days for those of us participating in the project to share our pictures. {I'm @gatherboutique on Instagram if you want to follow me.}

So, yesterday, I took on my first project: organizing my one personal drawer in my office. Here's the before:


Now, I know you can't see a whole lot in here, but that's a drawer that's about 12 inches deep filled to the brim with all sorts of things. And that's exactly what I see every time I open it up, so I have to dig to find out what I'm after.

I started by cleaning everything out to see what I even had. I threw away anything that was expired {which was only a couple things}. I put a couple of things where they actually belong instead of in this drawer. This is what I ended up with after that process:



The two binders in the back of the drawer are actually work related, but I only access them every year or two. I have to keep them on hand somewhere, but I don't need to worry about how easy it is to get to them since I don't use them often.

I started putting things back in the drawer in a way that made sense and I thought I could keep organized. I used a small cardboard box from the recycling pile to help corral some smaller items, and some zipper bags for others. Here's how it ended up:



From the top left, moving clockwise, I have some extra plastic bags I keep on hand in case I need to take things home with me.

Next I have some food in larger packages. We live about an hour and a half away from work, and I tend to eat most of my meals either at work or on the way to or from work. So, I keep an extra box of cereal on hand in case I happen to forget breakfast or am running late, and some chips for the occasional snack {rather than spending too much from the vending machine.}

Then I have condiments, just in case I need them for lunches. Saves on having to pack them from home.

The drink mixes are in individual form to be used with water bottles or tumblers {I have 3 or 4 different kinds there so I don't get too bored with them.}

I have some granola and snack food on hand. Or, if I don't eat all of the food I've packed for the day and it won't go bad, I normally just stick it in my drawer to be eaten later.

I keep some cold medicine, cold-eze, and whatnot on hand. Again, it's not like I can run home over lunch and get some, and I hate spending money on something that I already have on hand. In an emergency, our company has a pharmacy on site so I can just walk down the hall to get what I need.

I keep a candy jar on my desk for the employees and vendors who come to visit me. There's a bag of extras to refill. I normally don't buy candy, but find that I get gifted bags of candy for my jar from vendors or for holidays.

And finally, my zipper bag of utensils and napkins. I bring these items from home to keep on hand so I don't have to remember to pack them with my breakfast & lunch at home.

Everything is much more accessible now, the smaller items {especially the condiments} are corralled, and it's much easier to find what I'm looking for.

I also wanted to share with you my list for this project. I can cross the first item off!


Although it's called 30 Bags in 30 Days, I sincerely doubt I will get all of this accomplished in 30 days, especially with moving and butchering and Gather and everything else we have going on. And some of these things are things that can only be done at the new house because they're already packed up from this house {for example, the craft stuff, the games, dvds, etc.}

Like I said above, I'll be taking photos with Instagram, so look for updates there. I'll probably do an update to the project when it's done to let you know what I got accomplished. I hope you'll join in with us by using the tag #30bags30days. Leave a comment here or on Instagram and let me know you're joining in. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment