Home

Monday, March 28, 2011

Thinking Of You Cards

This series of posts features cards I've made for a specific stationery order. My customer requested 25 greeting cards for a variety of occasions. And that's all the direction I got! Knowing her previous purchases from me, she likes simple things and lives on a farm, so I kept that in mind when I was making these cards. She's seen most of the designs I keep on hand for craft shows, so I wanted to create totally new cards for her.

I've tried to divide the cards out into small bunches (rather than overwhelm you with 25 cards and deets in one post) by the occasions they were designed for. Also, I'm a terrible photographer when it comes to cards. This has been confirmed.

Enjoy!

Good Monday morning, all! How was your weekend? Ours was really great...lots of quality time with friends (who also happen to be our family...which makes us really lucky!) It was a very relaxing weekend, which is just what we needed. Even if everything on our to-do list didn't get done.

So, let's move on to the 2nd to last bunch of cards in this little series I've been doing. Today's cards are all "Thinking of You" cards. These aren't my favorite cards to make, but they are necessary. And it's good to have some of these on hand so I don't have to worry about making a card at the last minute.


First up is a card that I would probably use as a sympathy card, but could also just be used when a friend needs a reminder that you're thinking of them, or doing any tough time in life. Who wouldn't appreciate the sentiment, "You're on my mind"?

I kept this card fairly neutral and simple. The bottom background images (the words) are stamped with a brown distress ink. I didn't really want the words to be read, since I'm pretty sure it's a love story that would have nothing to do with this card. The point is just to see the text. I also roughed up the edges a little bit to give this more of a natural feel, which coordinates with the floral ribbon and stamped flower image.


Next up is a sympathy card. Normally, when I make sympathy cards, they're blue or green. Don't ask me why, but that seems to be my trend. But, I like this melon-y color...it's pretty and soothing. The floral image is stamped on with water color crayons. I colored directly on my rubber stamp and then spritzed it lightly with water, and stamped it onto my cardstock (this probably would have worked even better if I'd gotten out my watercolor paper, but I forgot about it until just now.) I also like the ribbon buckle, which ties in the other brown elements on the card.


This is a general "thinking of you" sort of card. It could be during a time that a friend needs a pick-me-up, but could also be used for happy occasions like a birthday or thank you. I thought the colors were cheerful, which works no matter what the meaning behind the card will end up being.

My process for this card was pretty simple. I stamped the weathered background on the card first, then stamped the dragonflies and embossed them with white embossing powder. Then I sponged on some ink over the top of the dragonflies and the top half of the card. I went back with a dry paper towel and wiped off the ink that was on the embossed images to reveal the white. It's kind of a fun technique that I've done on a few cards now.


The last card for the day is a get well card. I am TERRIBLE at sending these kinds of cards out because I normally don't keep them on hand, and normally, by the time I hear someone is ill and get a card mailed out, they're well again. I wish I was better at it though because the times I've been really sick, getting the mail is a bright moment in the day. It's the little things when you're sick, right?

So, the little piggy is colored in with water colors. Again, I don't break down and color very often, but this little guy was begging for it. I love the background image I used on the bottom of the card (PTI's Background Basics: Retro...that set was getting a lot of miles in this order). And the giant blue button makes me happy as well!

Well, that's it for today, kids. Tomorrow will be the last of these 25 cards...thank you for bearing with me! Hopefully after this little series is complete, I'll have some projects for you that I've been working on lately (no hint as to what they are, because I'm not even done with most of them. Typical me.) Have a great Monday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment